A MERMAID'S TAIL



A Mermaid's Tail
 
 EXCERPT:
 
CHAPTER ONE
 
 

Melody, Melody,” a sweet strange voice called to me as a cool breeze glazed over my face. I walked to the beach in a trance, staring over the blue sea as the moon shined bright. I felt the wind caress my skin as it swept past me making its way to the water; moving in small tidal waves, beckoning me to come in.

Follow your heart, child,” the voice said to me again. I felt my right foot move towards the water as it embraced me. I felt this pull, this yearning feeling as I walked further in the blue sea only to stop when the water reached my waist. The wind picked up moving towards me, beckoning me as it swept through my hair. Then I heard the strange, sweet voice yet again in my head, but this time it was not alone. It was like the sea was calling to me, welcoming me home.

Follow your heart.

Let the breeze guide you

for we are your sister’s at heart.

Your time is near,

for we await,

Deep below

where the sea plants sleep.

Come to us!

Come to us!

Come join your sisters at heart!”

 I could feel my body moving once again but something stopped me from going further in; that voice so sweet but different from the others. She called to me with love and concern in her voice. “Honey, what are you doing out there? You could catch a cold!” My mother yelled over the winds, standing in the sand near the water. She was wearing her night slippers and nightgown with a grey robe that tied around her waist to keep her warm.

Blinking my eyes a few times, I realized that voice was my mother's. She pulled me out of a trance of sort, pulling me towards the present. Confused, I wondered why I was in the water. Turning slowly, I could feel sorrow like the sea was sad that I was leaving. The voices in my head ceased making me shiver, not from the cold but from something else.

“Honey, come here; let me warm you up before we go inside.” My mother was a sweet, kind woman. Her love always made me feel at home. She pulled me in her arms with a worried look on her face. With her long brown hair and green eyes, her heart- shaped face looked lovely as I stared at her.

I could only nod at my mother as I felt drops of water dripping down my skin. I wondered why I felt this need to go to the water. I felt this need for as long as I could remember. The water seemed to bring peace to me. That’s why I joined the swim team. But tonight felt different like something inside me was trying to wake up. I don’t know what’s more frightening. The fact it’s calling me or the fact that I want to answer its call.

“Melody, time for school, sweetie!” My mom yelled from down the hall. Wiping my hands down my face, trying to figure out why I was having these dreams. It started a month ago. But lately, it seemed to be getting stronger. Sighing, I pulled the cover back and got ready for school.

I got to school at 7:45 and was supposed to meet my boyfriend by my locker. I checked my watch. "Where was he?" I wondered. I sighed. It was no secret that my two best friends only tolerated Dylan but he could be sweet at times even though promptness was not one of his strong points.

Maybe I got the place wrong.....maybe we were supposed to meet at his locker. I strolled over to the next hallway and saw the most disgusting sight. Chloe Steele had her arms draped around my man and he had her pushed up against the lockers and they were kissing big time............for a split second, I thought about confronting them but it was too much. I literally felt my heart break and let the tears fall from my face freely and ran away from that awful sight. It was just too much to bear and I ran smack into someone.......almost knocking us both over. "Hey, Mel, what is it?" Through tear dimmed eyes, I looked at the tall, cute guy who steadied me in his arms.

The sight of my best friend made me feel a little better. "Seth, it's...." I choked back my tears, struggling to talk. "It's Dylan. I found Chloe and him kissing. You and Care were right. He is a jerk."

"Well, no one is going to make my best friend cry," Seth declared, giving me another comforting hug. "Where are they?" I pointed to the other side of the hall.

“But Seth, it's okay, don't worry about it," I protested.

He looked at me with concern in his emerald green eyes; they were shining bright till they turned slightly darker from anger. "Mel, he never deserved you."

He marched down the hall with me lagging behind. I realized this must be hard for him, too, since he idolized Chloe or he did until she turned him down flat when he asked her on a date. Chloe and Dylan were still pretty hot and heavy when Seth cleared his throat. "Ahem."

Chloe barely glanced up. "I told you, no, I didn't want to go on a date with you."

"And I am telling you, I don't think you should be kissing my friend's boyfriend," Seth told her. This made Dylan jump big time.

"You told me you broke up with her." Chloe shoved Dylan off her finally.

"Um, Chloe....Mel.....it's not what you think," Dylan started to say.

I finally came to my senses and slapped him... "How dare you play with my emotions!”

"Well, who needs you, anyways?" Dylan snaps at me back. "I should have known not to get involved with a human. Now, where were we, Chloe?"

"Don't think you are getting involved with me, either!" Chloe shouted. To Seth, she smiled, sweetly. "Maybe we could go on that date after all."

"Sorry, I already found the perfect girl and it isn't you." Seth, then, wrapped his arms around me and we walked off down the hallway with Dylan muttering. "Humans, what else can you expect?" After we were out of earshot of them, we started laughing our heads off in an uncontrollable fit of laughter. Seth and I had been friends since we were four and five and it was more a sister, brother bond than anything but the look on their faces were priceless. "So what will Caramie think of us dating?" I joked. We were interrupted with the bell ringing, signaling us to get to class. "Hey, thanks for that."

"No, prob. You saved me some dignity too." We rushed off to class to start the day. Amazingly, I felt better even though I found out I had a cheating boyfriend but I did have a superb best friend. Now, I had to find my other best friend to tell her everything.

By the time I was able to tell Caramie about Dylan and Chloe, the last school bell rang telling us school us over. We walked outside the school front doors as we sat on the steps waiting for Seth. "Caramie, I need to tell you something." Noticing, she was waiting for me to continue, I told her about Dylan and Chloe, and what they did.

"Those Jerks!" I heard Caramie yell making me jump. "Please tell me Seth took care of it?" She asked me with a hopeful glee in her brown eyes.

“Yes, he did." I smiled at the thought, my hero. Seth was my best friend and a brother to me. Before I met Caramie, it was just us two.....We met when his dad moved him and Seth to Mystic, Connecticut. His mom had just passed away, some drunk driver killed her only weeks ago. Seth’s dad wanted a fresh start. The memories of his late wife were too painful. Their first night in Mystic, Connecticut, they stayed at the Mermaid Inn. The Mermaid Inn is owned by my parents, we have been there before I was born. Oh, did I forget to mention I live in the Mermaids Inn?

I remembered running down the steps of my room. When I first saw Seth, he was so shy with his head bent down, making his light brown hair cover part of his face. When we looked at each other, we smiled and bonded ever since. There was not a time that we were apart. We became brother and sister of sort. My mom took him in as one of her own when he was over. It meant a lot to him by the longing looks I saw when he thought I wasn’t looking. He thought my mom was a second mom to him ever since his died so long ago. But over time our duo became a trio when Caramie came into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment