A SIREN'S SONG

 
A Siren's Song
 
 EXCERPT:
 
CHAPTER ONE


Why did I let myself get talked into this? It was my turn next to sing in the talent show. My best friends had pressured me till I finally gave in to them. They could be so persistent!

I wouldn't be so shaken with fear if I could find my necklace. No, it wasn't a good luck charm, although my fears would have subsided some having it. And you would think I was shy being so frightened to go out there and sing. But it wasn't that. No, I wasn't thrilled about the aspect of everyone staring at me but it scared me more that people were going to listen to me. There are some great singers and so not so great singers but I could carry a note; no problem. But the real problem lay in what I was. I am a siren. To be more exact, a sirena, which simply means my dad is a human and my mom is a siren. I am sure you are shaking your head in disbelief but it's true.

The way they met has a lot to do with why I choose to hide my powers. My mom was a siren and my dad was in the navy. One day, his ship passed by the cliffs of the coast of Capri.

My mom happened to be singing and my dad fell overboard, listening to her song. My mom noticed and jumped in and saved him. The incident left my dad deaf. He had hit his head on a rock but luckily he wasn't hurt more than that.

It was love at first sight for both of them but deep down, she was saddened by the fact that she never knew if it was just her voice he fell in love with and nothing else. But she left the doom and gloom business of being a siren and married my dad and had me and are living a happily ever after. Maybe not fairy tale like but close enough.

So she decided a long time ago, she would not let me know the same fate. She wanted me to know love for what it was and not to be confused with the magical power of my voice. So she gave me my necklace. It was a mermaid medallion necklace that opened a locket but inside wasn't a picture but grains of sand from the island of Anthemoessa. It prevented my powers.

Normal sirens could control their powers but half-sirens like I am could not. But now, it was my turn next in the talent show and my necklace was nowhere in sight.

It was a priceless family heirloom and my mom promised to take me there one day to Anthemoessa to visit the land of my ancestors. And now unfortunately, I could not find my necklace anywhere.....

I had taken it off to put on my costume for the talent contest and laid it on my vanity back stage but somehow it ended up missing.............

But no need to worry about that now as I heard my name called, my stomach dropped. The announcer said, “Caramie Carter with her beautiful voice is up next. You might know her mother from the old band, The Harmonies.” Oh, that's one thing I forgot to mention my mom was a singer. Perfect cover for a ex-siren. But she retired from all that but no one never fails to mention my mom. It is so intriguing in their otherwise ordinary mediocre lives, I suppose. Sometimes, I feel like I am just a shadow of her but now it was time for me to go on stage.....without my necklace. Gulping, I took a deep breath and stood on stage, debating if I should feign stage fright or have the chance of someone finding out my secret. Here goes nothing and I opened my mouth to sing...........

 

You see me in plain sight

a vision caught in the wind

but what seems to pull you in

is my song of the night

I got you hypnotized

by the look in your eyes

but is it just my song you hear

or do you see me for real?

My thoughts are a mess

thinking of your caress

should I let you be free

and forget about the mystery

No, I want to end up together

and be forever

Just want to be under a lovestruck spell

Can't you tell?

You are the one for me

I've never been so lucky

You may have fell

for my trap

but somehow I fell

for you back

and our fairy tale

really is a lovestruck spell.

 

I scanned the audience for my two best friends. Somehow seeing their encouraging smiles made me feel better. So I gave it all I got and thought what was the harm? I chose to sing a song from my mom's band and till I started practicing it, I didn't realize how meaningful the lyrics were. When I was done, thunderous claps had rung in my ear and I went backstage to change back into jeans and a t-shirt. For the talent contest, my best friend, Melody Waters had talked me into wearing a purple dress with diamond sequins sewed in it......which didn't fit me at all since I was more of a tomboy. Yes, you heard right the siren was a tomboy.

As I was finishing getting back into regular clothes, I figured it was a good time to start looking for my necklace. Suddenly, I heard a voice behind me. It was Dylan the creep as my friends and I described him. He cleared his throat to get my attention. Luckily, I had finished changing my wardrobe with lightning speed but what was he doing in the girl's changing area? Mr. Moore, the teacher who sponsored the talent show, divided two rooms back stage, one for boys and the other for girls so why was Dylan the Creep in the girl's changing room?

“What are you doing here?” I sneered at him. “This is the girl's dressing area.”

“You think you are so smart, don't you?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about this.” He hung my mermaid medallion in front of my face. “Is this what you have been looking for?”

“You, dirty rat! How did you get that?” I lunged for it back and he said, “Uh, uh, my pretty sirena.”

“How did you know that I....” I started to say, noticing it was too late to deny what he had claimed. I felt deflated. “How did you know?”

“Well, it was easy once you slipped the necklace off........it prevented me from reading your pretty mind but now, let me introduce myself. Your friends may have a chuckle calling me Dylan the Creep but I am Dylan Masters, wizard extraordinaire. And yes, my dad, who is principal here is also a wizard. We actually have a gifted program here but really its for people like us. Special people unlike humans.”

“I am human.” I squeaked.

“That's why all those petty humans fell for your song.” He grabbed my hand forcibly. “Listen, I bet you anything, you win the contest and it is cause of your superior non-human voice. If you win, promise me you will attend one meeting.” I nodded.

“Sure, I was good but no way I could out do everyone. It was a long shot.” I thought.

“Hey, wait a minute, “I thought. “If you stole my necklace, I didn't take it off till I started dressing............”

“Yeah, your purple lacy bra goes better with the dress.” He sneered at me.

“You creep.” I lunge at him and he tossed my necklace back at me. Slipping it on, I go towards the auditorium to sit with my best friends. “Where have you been?” Melody whispered.

“Dealing with Dylan the Creep.” I told her, sighing, not really wanting to talk about the whole thing.

“He is kind of cute in a way if he wasn't so arrogant.” Melody swoons over Dylan while I roll my eyes at the thought.

My other best friend, Seth Montgomery said, “Hey, girls. Hold back the girl talk. There's a guy in the room.” He turns to me and smiles and gives me a look I've only seen him give Chloe Steel, whom he has a severe crush on. “Wow, Care, I've never heard you sing like that before. You were amazing.”

“You were, Caramie.”Melody squealed. I think you have all the boys in the audience captivated.”

I said. “Oh.” I was kind of disappointed. Under any normal circumstances, I would be thrilled, overjoyed that guys were noticing little ole me but it was only because of my powers. Why did I take off my necklace to begin with?

“You should have left the dress on to accept your award.” Melody half-way scolded me.

“Please, the thing itched me to death. I am surprised I could sing in that thing and who says I am going to win anyway.”

Melody ignored me as Mr. Moore went on stage to the microphone.“Oh, this is it. They are about to announce the winners.” Melody squealed with delight. “I know you will win first place. I just know it!”

“That's what I am afraid of.”

I muttered with no one actually really hearing me. It was more to myself. First, they announced 3rd place, Kaitlyn Davis, who did a ballet performance. 2nd place, Marcus Benton for his magic show. And Mr. Moore had said “It was unanimous who held 1st place. Caramie Carter for her rendition of her mother's song, Lovestruck Spell.” Melody nudged me to go accept my award, which was a huge trophy. I could feel many eyes on me as I went up there. And not just random audience members......

mostly guys noticing my every move. Now, I knew how my mother felt way back when people used her for her voice. As I was accepting my award, Dylan the Creep stood in the background, smirking at me. “It meets Monday at 6:00.”

I knew there was no way I could back out and I had all weekend to dread it for today was Friday and whatever the meeting had to do with had to wait. I realized Dylan hadn't told me where they would meet or anything. I guess I would find out Monday..........sighhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment